Ngā tohu o tāwāhi
Overseas qualifications pathway
If you hold an overseas social work qualification, and wish to apply to register in New Zealand, there are two pathways:
- Australian qualification pathway – for social work qualifications accredited by the AASW (Australian Association of Social Workers) or
- Overseas qualification pathway.
Please note that there are fees associated with both of these registration pathways.
An Australian qualification pathway applicant will be required to pay a Registration Application Fee and a Competency Assessment Fee.
An Overseas qualification pathway applicant will be required to pay an Overseas Qualification Assessment Fee, a Registration Application Fee and a Competency Assessment Fee.
Step 1 – Registration
Both pathways require you to create an account in MySWRB.
There are a number of steps in your application for registration. Create an account in MySWRB. Fill out the details.
- Choose your pathway option, ie Overseas qualification pathway.
- Upload your completed overseas qualification assessment document and pay your qualification assessment fee:
Assessment of overseas qualification form
Please note that making a payment does not guarantee that your qualification will be approved. In addition, please be aware that you will be asked to evidence your English Language ability during the registration process.
- Assessment of your overseas social work qualification
We will assess your overseas qualification(s) to see if it is equivalent to an SWRB-recognised NZ social work qualification. Please note that an NZQA document is not accepted for this process.
- You are contacted
We will email you to let you know the outcome of the assessment.
- Log back into MySWRB
If your qualification is deemed equivalent, log back into MySWRB to continue your registration application, upload the required documents and pay the registration application fee.
- Submit your competency assessment
There are two types of competency assessment depending on your work experience in Aotearoa New Zealand. Please note that there is a fee for your competence assessment.
- Less than six months relevant experience in NZ
Overseas Competence Assessment Template (3-10)
If your NZ experience is limited at the point of registration, you will be expected to address competencies 3-10 in your competency assessment. If your registration application is successful, then within six months of your first Practising Certificate you will be required to complete a full competence assessment based on your recent practice to address all ten core competencies.
- More than six months relevant experience in NZ
Full Competence Assessment Template (1-10)
There are competence assessment guidelines available.
Please be aware that you may be asked to provide additional evidence of your English Language ability. The English language policy is currently under review. Please contact the registration team if you have any questions about our English language requirements at email@example.com.
If you have been given provisional registration, there are further requirements to become fully registered.
Step 2 – Practising Certificate
Once you are registered, you are required by law to hold a valid Practising Certificate when you are working as a social worker.
- apply for your Practising Certificate by logging into your MySWRB account
- fill out your practising declaration
- pay the invoice for your Practising Certificate fee (please check with your employer if they will cover the cost of your Practising Certificate fee).
- once payment has been received, you may download a copy.
You must renew your Practising Certificate each year for it to be valid. If you do not intend to practise, please log onto MySWRB and declare yourself not practising.