Te Hoki ki te Mahi
Return to Practice

The process for returning to practice differs according to how long your break in practice has been.

Less than 3 years

Registered social workers who wish to return to practice following a break in practice of less than three years can apply for a Practising Certificate through the online portal, MySWRB, on the SWRB website. If you are logging in for the first time, instructions to access your account are on the lefthand side. Please follow the prompts.

More than 3 years

Registered social workers who have not held a Practising Certificate for three years or more should contact the SWRB at applications@swrb.govt.nz. You may be required to complete a Competency Assessment.

If it has been more than three years after the expiry of your last practising certificate there will be a cost to pay. Please see the fees and funding page for relevant fees.

Been living overseas?

Have you been living outside of New Zealand for more than 12 months any time in the last 10 years? If yes, then you will need to submit a police certificate from the countries you have been living in for 12 months or more.