Return to Practice

The SWRB is currently finalising a policy for social workers returning to practice.

Until that’s in place, registered social workers who wish to return to practice following a break in practice of less than three years* can apply for a Practising Certificate in the usual way.

Registered social workers who have not held a Practising Certificate for three years or more should contact the SWRB at

You may be required to complete a Continuing Professional Development (CPD) log, practice study, and a self-reflection, and a fee will apply.

*The Social Workers Registration Act 2003[SA2]  requires an application for a Practising Certificate to be referred to the SWRB Board[SA3]  if the SWRB Registrar believes or suspects the applicant has not held a Practising Certificate in the previous three years.

Been living overseas?

Have you been living outside of New Zealand for the past 12 months or more? If yes, then you will need to submit a police certificate from the countries you have been living in for 12 months or more.