Continuing Professional Development (CPD) is about maintaining and enhancing your knowledge and expertise throughout your career.
Each year, the SWRB will audit (randomly) the CPD logs of 5% of all practising registered social workers. If you have been selected to be audited, you will have received an email by now (providing your contact details are up to date).
There Q & As are below and you can find out more about CPD here – scroll down to find CPD log audit.
CPD LOG AUDIT FAQs
Q: Why have I been selected for audit?
It is a random selection from the SWRB database of 5% of all practising registered social workers.
Q: How much do I need to pay for the CPD log audit?
There is no fee for the CPD log audit.
Q: If I am audited, when is my CPD log due to be submitted?
The final date for submitting your CPD log is 28 February 2020. The sooner you submit your CPD log the sooner the registration team can start the process.
Can I request my CPD log is assessed by tangata whenua?
Yes, this is an option available to you
Q: How long will it take to receive an outcome?
It can take up to one month to receive an outcome from our reviewers. However, your CPD log outcome will be returned to you as soon as it is available.
Q: Can I be exempted from the audit?
No, registered social worker cannot be exempt from the CPD log audit.
Q: What happens if I do not provide my CPD log?
If you are selected to be audited, it is a requirement to provide your CPD log. If the registration team do not receive a social worker’s CPD log they will refer the social worker to our professional standards team.
Q: Is there a template for the CPD log?
Yes, we accept both the SWRB template on our website and the online CPD log template provided by the ANZASW.
Q: Can I email my CPD log?
Yes, your CPD log needs to be emailed in a PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org
What should my CPD log look like?
Please click on the following link:https://swrb.govt.nz/for-social-workers/continuing-professional-development/to see an example of a CPD log.
What type of CPD do we accept?
- Post graduate study
- Structured visits to explore social work issues in another field, region or country
- Acting-up or taking on another role for a short period
- Scoping & developing a new programme of work or initiative
- Undertaking a service evaluation/audit
- Supervising student placements
- Engaging in journal clubs
- Planning & presenting a lecture / course / seminar / webinar / workshop
- Writing articles or books
- Reviewing books or articles
- Reading articles
- Listening to video or audio resources for example Ted talks or podcasts.
- Recording your practice (seek permission from your clients and agency first) and getting feedback
- Simulating social work practice
- Working Groups for example developing position statements; policy development, best practice guidelines or research.
- Discussions about practise development or approaches to social work with social work colleagues.
Can I submit my CPD log in any other language?
We will accept your CPD log in any of the official languages of Aotearoa, New Zealand.
What do I do as a supervisor if I am not comfortable signing off a CPD log?
If you do not feel that a social worker is competent please do not sign off their CPD log. Please contact the SWRB with your concerns at email@example.com.
The CPD audit is one of a portfolio of activities including professional supervision, qualification, and practice experience that support competence. The CPD log on its own is not a means of competence assessment, it is one of a number of measures of competence. If a social worker fails to provide a satisfactory CPD log, this may indicate a concern about competence or possibly conduct.